Thursday, March 4, 2010

Insanity Defense: worth it?

"Pumpin' bumpin' scoopin' scumpin'
Homies be jumpin' with the pumpkins"

Personally, I think the insanity defense is a viable solution for crimes, but it definitely does get overused. When I read through my books on serial killers, I see how some of these killers clearly have some level of consciousness and reasoning, but they attempt to get off on the insanity defense anyway. In some cases, it's understandable (such as Ed Gein or Edmund Kemper), but with other's, I think it's just a cheap ploy to avoid jail time or the death penalty. I am glad that most juries find the insanity defense to be bunk. However, I do believe that sanity should be at least reviewed in some cases. Take for example, Albert Fish. Albert Fish was a serial killer who claimed victims all over the northeastern U.S., and he clearly had maniacal tendencies. When he was apprehended by the police and taken to court, he attempted to get off on the insanity defense, but he was found sane. I think this was a mistake. Anybody who had read about Albert Fish's life would know how big of a lunatic he was. I think he definitely could have gotten off, but he didn't. Defining insanity differs from many people though. What some people might consider insane, others might consider "quirky" or "eccentric". It's a very difficult thing to define completely. It's just one of those things. Finding whether someone is insane or not has go to be one of the hardest things for people to agree on.

Andrea Yates is one of those cases. I think Mrs. Yates was clearly insane, but I do not like how she is out and about in the free world. A person who has killed 5 other human beings does not deserve to have her rights. I just find that unfair. The death penalty wouldn't do anything to her I think. She wouldn't be able to comprehend why she was being killed. She thinks that the atrocity she committed was doing a good thing. This is where mental institution comes in handy. I think that the U.S. should start putting that to good use.

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. I like your definition of what you think insane was, but I do believe that Yates was insane and needs to be in a closed mental facility. A person who killed 5 young children desreves to be put away forever and not be able to go in public. If she can kill her own children then what is stopping her from killing complete strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally someone i agree with! she needs to be kept in a high security mental institution. She needs to feel pain and suffering just like her children did but in a different way, she doesnt deserve a happy and normal life. When you take the lives of five children your life should be taken away but in this case her civil rights not the death penalty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with you some people just try to use the insanity defense to get away with the crime which is stupid but some people are clearly insane and need to be put in a mental hospital

    ReplyDelete
  4. youre right tim..we pay for the mental insitutions so rather than let her wander the streets we should just put her in a mental institution for life where she can get the treatment she needs

    ReplyDelete
  5. forced opiate addiction. i swear it will work.

    ReplyDelete